Quick and easy apricot and creamy vanilla custard pies in the Kmart Pie Maker using dried apricots, vanilla instant pudding mix and puff pastry.
This recipe made 12 pies in our Kmart Pie Maker.
- 6 sheets of puff pastry
- 250g of Royal Nut Dried Apricots, chopped into quarters. Who knew that you can't get any Australian apricots at Coles or Woolies, so you'll need to head off to IGA or Foodworks for these ones.
- 250ml water
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 100g packet Aeroplane Vanilla Dessert Mix
- 200ml full cream milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 beaten egg (for egg wash on pie tops)
NOTE: You'll probably have just under half of the vanilla pudding mix left over so why not make a few Custard Pies or Custard Tarts as well.
- In a large bowl combine the milk, cream and the vanilla dessert mix and beat with an electric hand mixer on high speed for 1 minute.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place apricots and water in a saucepan, bring to boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the apricots have softened and absorbed most of the water. Alternatively:
- Soak the apricots in water in a bowl in the frig overnight.
- Microwave the apricots and water in a bowl covered in cling wrap on high for 4-5 minutes.
- Mash the apricots a bit with a fork and stir in the white sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut your top and bottom pastry circles - 12 of each.
- Remove the dessert mix from refrigerator and stir till smooth.
- Place 4 bottom pastry circles into the cold pie maker.
- Fill each pie shell to just under halfway with apricot filling.
- Fill to just below the top with vanilla dessert mix.
- Put on the 4 top pastry circles and brush with egg wash
- Turn on the pie maker, close the lid, and cook for 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from pie maker and allow to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Repeat for the next batch of 4 pies.
PRO TIP: Mix 1 tablespoon of apricot jam into the apricot filling mix and/or sprinkle the pie tops with cinnamon sugar before closing the pie maker lid.
Prep Time: 25 minutes (including refrigeration of the dessert mix)
Cook Time: 10 minutes per batch of 4 pies