This recipe made 8 finished layer cakes in our Kmart Pie Maker.
- 1 x 510g packet White Wings Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 x 530g packet White Wings Rich Chocolate Cake Mix
- 4 extra large eggs (59g)
- 180ml (3/4 cup) of water
- 180ml (3/4 cup) of milk
- 60g of margarine or softened butter
- 150ml of thickened cream, whipped
FrostingThere's a frosting sachet with each cake mix, so for the two sachets you'll need:
- 30ml (6 tablespoons) of milk
- 120g of margarine or softened butter
- In 2 separate medium bowls prepare the vanilla cake mix and the chocolate cake mix as per the instructions on the packets.
- Fill each hole in your pie maker with cake batter to 3/4 full.
- Close the lid and cook for 4 minutes, turn over and cook for another 5 minutes or until done (a metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Remove from pie maker and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat for each batch of 4 cakes - there will be enough cake mix for 12 vanilla cupcakes and 12 chocolate cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, assemble them in stacks of 3 with whipped cream between each one, alternating chocolate and vanilla layers (ie; 2 chocolate with a vanilla in the middle for half of them and the reverse for the other half).
- To make sure that the cupcakes sit flat on each other you may need to trim the rounded tops off the bottom and middle cupcakes in each stack. TIP: Brush any loose crumbs off the cupcakes to avoid the crumbs getting in your frosting.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In 2 separate small bowls prepare the vanilla frosting and the chocolate frosting as per the instructions on the packets - place frosting mix, 60g of shortening and 15ml of milk in a small bowl and, using an electric mixer, beat on low for 30 seconds until combined. Increase speed to high and mix for another 3 minutes.
- Apply the frosting to each stack using a spatula or icing knife, using chocolate frosting for 4 of them and vanilla frosting for the other 4.
- Decorate using some of the following suggestions:
- Lindt Milk Chocolate or White Chocolate Balls (cut in half)
- A broken Caramilk Twist Twirl bar
- A broken Flake bar
- Crushed white or milk chocolate
- Gaytime Violet Crumble Crumbs or a crushed Violet Crumble bar
- Dessicated Coconut
Prep Time: 45 minutes (includes refrigeration time)
Cook Time: 9 minutes per batch
- Tags: pie maker recipes