Fruit pies are just better with creamy custard. Our Apple Custard pies combine tender sliced apples, a hint of nutmeg and a creamy vanilla custard filling. This one is an "anytime, any excuse" recipe and the indulgent amongst us would probably see nothing wrong with eating 4 of these for dinner (I'm looking at you hubby!).
We used this recipe to make 8 pies in our Kmart Pie Maker, however there was a bit of the filling left over.
- 4 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 x 400g can Ardmona Sliced Pie Apple
- 1 x 100g packet Aeroplane Vanilla Dessert Mix
- 200ml full cream milk
- 300ml thickened cream
- Icing sugar (for decoration)
- Combine milk and cream in a large bowl, add dessert mix and beat with an electric mixer until smooth (~2 minutes)
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove from frig, add the pie apple to the dessert mix and gently combine.
- Cut 4 tops and 4 bottoms out of your sheets of puff pastry.
- Spray a little oil on a paper towel and wipe the tops and bottoms of the pie maker holes.
- In your cold pie maker, place a pastry circle in each hole.
- Generously fill each one with apple/dessert mix filling, and sprinkle with nutmeg to taste.
- Put the top pastry circles on, turn on the pie maker and close the lid.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Repeat for the next batch of 4 pies.
- Cool the pies on a wire cooling rack and dust with icing sugar.
Prep Time: 40 minutes (including 30 minutes setting time for vanilla dessert mix)
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes per batch of 4 pies
- Tags: pie maker recipes